11. mars 2011

The Other Hand

We got a new assignment in English class a few weeks ago, and this was to choose a novel and read it. I choose the book "The Other Hand" (2008) by the British author Chris Cleave. This was the book of my choice because I have heard great things about it from people I know who have read it, and it has also gotten great reviews. It was for instance shortlisted for the 2008 COSTA Novel Award and nominated for a Commonwealth Writers' Prize in 2009.


The novel is about a Nigerian girl who is an asylum-seeker in England and a British magazine editor. They both are the narratives. The girl is called Little Bee, and in the immigration detention centre she learns fluent English, or as she calls it: Queens English. The woman is Sarah, and she is married to Andrew, and they have a son together, known as Batman. When Little Bee is released from the centre she goes straight to find the couple, and calls Andrew up. He commits suicide right after the call, so Sarah is left alone with her child when Little Bee comes knocking on their door on the day of Andrews funeral.


I haven't read a lot in the book yet, but I like it so far, and it is actually quite funny sometimes! I even caught myself laughing out loud several times. So I'm looking forward to reading further in it, and I hope that it will be as good as I expect it to be!


I'll post another update when I have read more, or when I'm finished.


Anna

5 kommentarer:

  1. Sounds like an exciting book. Many have chosen to read it and it certainly fits our curriculum goals with multicultural Britain. Look forward to hearing what you think of it when you have finished it too.

    SvarSlett
  2. I have also heard about the book and a friend of my mom's recommended it to me last year! I did not get the chance to read it, but I hope you enjoy the book =)=)

    SvarSlett
  3. I have chosen the same book myself, and i have to agree with you that it is quite funny to read at times!

    SvarSlett
  4. This book sounds very interesting and enjoyable to read. It is clear through this post that you enjoy reading the book. I liked that you mentioned why you chose the book and how it was shortlisted for an award. I hope you enjoy the rest of the book as much as you did so far!

    SvarSlett
  5. Anna!:)

    You have written a good blogpost! The book sounds appealing and since both Shirin and Martha agrees with you as well, I am sure it is a great book. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it:)

    SvarSlett